Saturday, March 27, 2010

Pharoah Sanders Returns to Brooklyn


Cosmic Jazz superstar Pharoah Sanders is returning to Brooklyn tonight, and I get to see him. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never seen him perform before: I'm just too young to have seen him when he performed regularly in the early 1970s, and I've passed up more recent club dates where he seemed to be doing the "old freaky jazz guy rediscovers the standards" shtick that he and so many other seventies players have done in the past few years. Guests at the concert tonight include a poet and a Yoruba music ensemble, so I'm imagining this will not be Pharoah plays "Stardust" and "Misty." Above is a performance from a couple years ago of Pharoah appearing on David Sanborn's TV show. It's a little shocking seeing Pharoah play with somebody so completely at the opposite end of the spectrum, but it's a completely enjoyable clip. They're playing "Thembi," originally on a Pharoah album of that title from way back in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment