Monday, June 28, 2010

A Disco Break...


It was a very hot gay pride weekend... and my computer is not in an air-conditioned room so while I recuperate let me offer up this bittersweet confection of modern Eurodisco from Robyn, a Swedish teen-star who, while now in her thirties, still dresses as if she were in her teens. Like the best of made-for-the-gays 1970s disco, "Dancing On My Own" is lyrically a fairly unhappy tune, but our heroine's spunkily combative dance moves make us know it will all turn out right. After we get even, perhaps. It's heartbreak disco, of course, but pretty fierce, and though dance music this 21st-century isn't often my cup of tea, I've been watching this video over and over again so now you get to do the same. I don't know if Robyn writes her own lyrics, but there's something gritty about these, and those for some of her other tunes. Her ouevre is well-represented on youtube: I especially recommend the interview with a Swedish TV program where she comes across as quite a complete human being. Admirable in this day and age. Enjoy/weep/dance/stay cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment