Monday, March 08, 2010

International Women's Day: Fantasy v. Reality


Above, a Sandinista billboard in Managua. "Por la igualdad de participacion de la mujer": "For the Equality of Participation of Women." Below, women on a train returning home from the market in Managua to Diriamba. Both photos by me, both from 1986. I guess the lesson here is that it takes more than good intentions to change oppressive class relationships. Legal equality, which technically even the United States has failed to embrace, is one thing; the breakdown of gender roles is quite another.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm..I'm a bit confused by this: I believe a woman can have bigger ambition while still doing domestic duties. Unless these trains were sexually segregated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess my point was that taking food to market is a very traditional female role; not to demean it but to suggest that it's hard to consider becoming, say, a doctor when tied to traditional, and very time-consuming roles.
    Didn't the industrialization and mechanization of society contribute to women's equality, such as it is, by helping to break traditional roles?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. okay,I see. thank you.

    ReplyDelete